Specifically in relation to the up-keep and maintenance of Bulloch/k Harbour, we (that’s Bulloch Harbour Preservation Association and Dalkey Tidy Towns) work with Dublin Port Company to agree a maintenance programme. This is detailed below. In March 2018, however, the harbour pier incurred substantial damage as a result of storm Emma and since then Dublin Port Company has been working to establish the extent of the damage (this involved high tech exploration of the foundations and inner condition of the pier) and to commission specialist repair work that maintains the historical fabric of this 200 year old heritage structure. Updates on the repair work can be read on our news page.
With regard to on-going maintenance and other one-off initiatives, a meeting is held with Dublin Port Company and representatives of BHPA at the start of each year and a programme agreed, which this year, 2019, included the following:
- Installation of Harbour History & Wildlife Interpretative Panels
- Litter & debris collection…on-going
- Removal of silt from harbour basin.
- Stability of the harbour piers: Surveys carried out by RPS & ongoing monitoring in March each year.
- Signage update…once present works are complete. This will include reviewing safety signage in line with current best practise.
- Winch painted annually.
- Chains alongside the grass verge repaired and painted
- Grass verge restored and grass feed applied twice annually.
- All sheds and barriers are painted annually.
- Steps down to the boats painted and algae removed: annually
- Seaweed removed from slipway : annually.
- General Harbour Safety reviewed and action taken as necessary.
- ‘West Plaza’ to be re-surfaced at a future date.
Previous years’ work has included:
- Replacement/restoration of benches
- Redundant crane removed…costly to maintain.
- Crane plinth clad with granite slabs & restored; navigational light installed on the plinth.
- New street light installed.
- New flower bed created
- Six new granite steps installed….easier access to ‘West Plaza’
- Boat storage area re-surfaced in 2017
- Slipway completely refurbished in 2016.
- New ladders and mooring rings installed in 2017
- New portaloos installed by DLRCC 2017
- New temporary safety poles installed in 2017.
- Wall at ‘West Plaza’ re-pointed.
- Leaking sewage pipes repaired by Irish Water
Some on-going repair work has and will continue to be done as necessary and every spring the RPS team do a survey to check if there has been any change or movement of the quay walls. This annual commitment has been given to us by Dublin Port Co.
(Frank Dillon, BHPA & Dalkey Tidy Towns)